Today marked the sixth Philadelphia Eagles coaching camp observe forward of the 2022 NFL season. Here’s what I noticed at the NovaCare Complex. NOTE: Stay tuned for in the present day’s BGN Radio observe recap podcast that’ll be posted right here as soon as the episode goes dwell.
• Man, it was a hot one on the market in the present day with temps approaching 100 levels. Or at the least it felt that manner.
• This a lot is obvious: nobody can fairly make the case that in the present day was a replenish efficiency for Hurts. The offense didn’t play nicely.
Hurts isn’t solely accountable for the struggles. In equity to him, he was down his prime two left sort out choices and he was lacking considered one of his greatest large receivers.
But quarterbacks aren’t all the time going to surrounded with the good state of affairs. Sometimes it’s as much as them to do extra with much less and overcome such adversity. Hurts didn’t rise to the event on Thursday morning.
Let’s recap his observe primarily based on the completely different intervals he was concerned in.
1-on-1: Hurts lofted a ball to Quez Watkins on a slot fade but it surely was underthrown and almost picked off by Avonte Maddox till Watkins performed protection to interrupt it out. Hurts threw a fade go in the again left nook of the finish zone that didn’t let Watkins have an opportunity to catch it in-bounds. Hurts got here again and corrected his error with a fade go to the again proper nook of the finish zone to seek out John Hightower.
11-on-11: Hurts held on to the ball for a very long time on his first two reps. He most likely would’ve been sacked on a type of, if not each. And he didn’t even handle to finish a go regardless of getting the profit of additional time to throw. Hurts’ third down throw was a four-yard completion to Dallas Goedert. Three-and-out.
7-on-7: Hurts had a superb ball over the center (!) to a sliding A.J. Brown in a decent window. The go was thrown somewhat behind however which may have been meant to provide Brown an opportunity at making a play whereas maintaining the ball away from the protection. Hurts discovered Brown once more in the center of the area however this time in the again of the finish zone for a rating. Those had been the good performs that stood out. The dangerous performs embody two reps the place Hurts didn’t see something he favored and took off operating. Not good when a QB has to resort to his legs in a 7-on-7 drill. Hurts was additionally almost picked by a diving T.J. Edwards however the refs at observe dominated it incomplete. Close one.
11-on-11: Hurts had good zip on a fast go to Goedert over the center.
11-on-11 purple zone: Hurts received the ball out fast to Brown on a slant to beat Darius Slay for a rating.
11-on-11 crunch time: Hurts related with Brown on an out route to permit the receiver to get out of bounds for a 5-yard acquire with 1:11 left on the clock. On second down, Kenneth Gainwell dropped a brief go over the center with defenders close by. On third down, Javon Hargrave may’ve had a sack on Hurts in an actual recreation however the quarterback took off operating to the sideline for a brief acquire. On fourth down, Hurts held on to the ball for a very long time to the level the place Josh Sweat stopped speeding him and simply stood watching whereas the quarterback threw excessive/off beam in the direction of the left sideline. Hurts had one other go over the center knocked down by Edwards.
After observe, I requested a number of media members in the event that they although Hurts was replenish, inventory even, or inventory down. Everyone agreed replenish wasn’t an choice. Some had been between even and down … although even considered one of Hurts’ largest proponents thought it was a transparent down. After going via my notes, the dangerous outweighed the good. Too many occasions the place he was holding on to the ball for ceaselessly. It’s form of been feast or famine in that regard with the ball both popping out very quick or taking all day to be thrown.
• JALEN HURTS STOCK TRACKER OVERVIEW:
Day 1: Stock even
Day 2: Stock down
Day 3: Stock down
Day 4: Stock even
Day 5: Stock up
Day 6: Stock down
DID NOT PRACTICE: DeVonta Smith (groin), Jordan Mailata (concussion), Andre Dillard (concussion), Greg Ward (toe), Grant Calcaterra (hamstring), Mac McCain (knee).
Smith returned to Tuesday’s observe after getting banged up however he was out in the present day. The Eagles are describing Smith as “day-to-day.”
Ward, Calcaterra, and McCain are all bubble gamers who have to get wholesome quickly as a way to correctly battle for roster spots.
LIMITED PARTICIPATION: Zach Pascal (sickness).
Pascal practiced for the first time since camp opened. He wasn’t concerned in staff drills however he did take part in 1-on-1s. Ramping up.
Quez Watkins was full go in the present day after leaving Tuesday’s observe early resulting from sickness.
Boston Scott was on the floor for a bit after taking an enormous pop from Marcus Epps however was in a position to stroll off on his personal energy.
Richard Rodgers was activated from the energetic/PUP checklist on Wednesday night. More tight finish depth for observe, at the very least.
Tarron Jackson appeared to get poked in the eye throughout one rep. We’ll see if he misses any time.
• While Hurts typically held on to the ball for too lengthy (there’s intensive proof of him doing as a lot with the longest common time to throw over the previous two seasons), let’s give the protection some credit score as nicely. The protection didn’t make life tremendous straightforward on him. And neither did the go rush, which didn’t battle to make his life troublesome. The Eagles’ go rush was too ineffective final 12 months; it’s good to see enchancment this summer time.
• T.J. Edwards is having a powerful summer time. One of his two go breakups was very almost an interception. Edwards additionally did a superb job of diagnosing a brief throw to Goedert to cease the offense for a 2-yard acquire throughout a goal-to-go collection. Some thought Edwards may be headed to the bench with the Eagles signing Kyzir White and drafting Nakobe Dean. That’s not occurring. Edwards is the staff’s greatest linebacker.
• Speaking of Dean, nonetheless ready for a flash via six practices.
• Gainwell’s drop in the direction of the finish of observe was dangerous. But he did have a pleasant over-the-shoulder catch in 1-on-1. He additionally broke off a superb run up the center for about 10 yards. And he was trusted with a aim line carry up the intestine with the first staff offense that went for a landing.
• A.J. Brown has been feasting on Darius Slay this summer time. Brown faked a path to the outdoors along with his launch throughout a 1-on-1 rep earlier than rapidly slicing inside and scoring a landing on a slant. Brown has been a slant machine.
• Kary Vincent Jr. received flagged for defensive go interference on Devon Allen in 1-on-1. KVJ additionally received beat by Covey on an angle route for a landing from Reid Sinnett throughout purple zone drills.
• Not a foul day for Covey. In addition to the aforementioned landing, he had one other rating after operating an out path to get open towards Josiah Scott in purple zone 11-on-11.
• Today was most likely Gardner Minshew’s greatest observe of camp. He was extra stable than sensational. Minshew was the thrower for Covey’s 1-on-1 landing; he zipped the ball proper by Scott. Minshew related with Noah Togiai on a fade route with Jaquiski Tartt trailing. Minshew did badly overthrow Zach Pascal on a 1-on-1 rep.
• Been a fairly quiet camp for veteran safeties Tartt and Anthony Harris.
• Brandon Graham continues to look good. He prevented Minshew from getting a go off by attending to the quarterback.
• Haason Reddick was in place to make a sort out on Miles Sanders for a loss or no acquire throughout a play the place Hurts choice pitched to his operating again. The similar may very well be mentioned for an choice pitch on the reverse facet of the area (left) with Davion Taylor able to wrap up Boston Scott.
• There was a day earlier in camp the place Quez Watkins was carving up Avonte Maddox in 1-on-1. Today it was Maddox who received the better of that battle with a close to choose and a breakup. Real sticky protection from the Eagles’ slot nook.
• Devon Allen dropped a go in 1-on-1. His palms have been a difficulty this summer time.
• Jalen Reagor beat James Bradberry for a rating in 1-on-1. Later in observe, he received yelled at by Nick Sirianni throughout a rep the place they was a protection “sack.”
• Reid Sinnett made a superb throw to Jaedan Graham in the center of the finish zone. Will have an interest to see what Sinnett can do in the preseason since he’ll get a number of snaps there. He’ll have an opportunity to make the case for the Eagles maintaining three quarterbacks.
• Carson Strong isn’t severely pushing for a roster spot at the second. He threw a duck into double protection and was fortunate it wasn’t picked off.
• Reed Blankenship continues to face out amongst the third stringers. Doing good issues in protection and run help. He’ll at the least be on the observe squad.
• Scenes from camp: ball safety drill.
• Today in Jimmy Kempski’s day by day coaching camp interview collection for BGN Radio: Fran Duffy.
UP NEXT: No observe on Friday resulting from an off day for the gamers. The Eagles will return to motion on Saturday beginning at 10:00 AM. The staff is internet hosting their first and solely observe open to the public at Lincoln Financial Field beginning at 7:00 PM on Sunday night. [Click here for ticket information.]