Today marked the seventh Philadelphia Eagles coaching camp apply forward of the 2022 NFL season. Here’s what I noticed on the NovaCare Complex. NOTE: Stay tuned for right this moment’s BGN Radio apply recap podcast episode that might be posted right here as soon as it’s stay.
• JALEN HURTS STOCK REPORT
It was an up-and-down day for Hurts.
The good: Despite good protection from Darius Slay, Hurts threw a really good cross with zip and contact to A.J. Brown for a would-be landing had the receiver not dropped it. UPDATE: As I used to be writing this text, Brown tweeted (after which deleted) that Slay broke up the cross. (So, if he’s appropriate, then perhaps not the most effective throw if Slay might get a hand on it?)
Later, Hurts efficiently hit Brown in stride on a deeper slant route. Showing extra accuracy whereas throwing over the center, Hurts completely positioned a ball to Dallas Goedert up the seam for a piece achieve. Hurts led a 11-on-11 pink zone collection in opposition to the beginning protection the place the offense punched it in for the rating. Hurts didn’t do something too flashy throughout this stretch. He did have a pleasant QB energy run however in any other case he simply checked down and took what the protection gave him. The mixture of mistake-free soccer and a robust working sport allowed the Eagles to rating with relative ease. It’s sequences like these that maybe go underappreciated (together with on my own) as a result of, once more, it’s not like he’s flashing in an excellent spectacular means. But not each beginning quarterback operates this effectively, so, let’s give credit score the place it’s due.
The dangerous: Outside of his good cross to Brown that was dropped, Hurts and the offense struggled in opposition to the beginning protection. His finest performs largely occurred when the starters have been dealing with backups. Hurts’ first cross of the day was meant for Brown on an out route however as an alternative went large proper and out of bounds. Hurts drifted left on one rep the place he might’ve checked down to an open Miles Sanders however seemingly received sacked as an alternative … or at most gained two yards earlier than working out of bounds. Hurts positively received sacked on one other rep the place he rolled left … however threw anyway … and the ball went out of bounds. One of Hurts’ incompletions was a batted ball on the line of scrimmage. His shorter stature isn’t often an issue in that regard however it may be a difficulty from time to time. There was a 7-on-7 rep the place Hurts underthrew Quez Watkins and received picked off Darius Slay, who had really good protection on that route. There was one other 7-on-7 rep the place Hurts took off working, which is not less than the fourth time he’s carried out that in camp. Again, it’s exhausting to see the purpose of a QB working this a lot throughout such a pass-friendly drill.
Zooming out a bit as we’re midway by way of Eagles coaching camp (seven out of 14 complete practices, together with those in Miami and Cleveland), there aren’t any indicators of Hurts being a considerably totally different participant from final yr. This isn’t to counsel he’s been terrible by any means; there are some areas the place he has made optimistic strides. We’ve talked about his progress when it comes to throwing over the center and getting the ball out faster on sure performs. But there are nonetheless points with accuracy and holding on to the ball for too lengthy. No one can argue it’s been a robust camp for the offense as a complete, which actually doesn’t replicate nicely on the beginning quarterback.
• JALEN HURTS STOCK TRACKER OVERVIEW
Day 1: Stock even
Day 2: Stock down
Day 3: Stock down
Day 4: Stock even
Day 5: Stock up
Day 6: Stock down
Day 7: Stock even
• HOT FANTASY FOOTBALL TIP
• EAGLES INJURY REPORT
DID NOT PRACTICE
Boston Scott (concussion), DeVonta Smith (groin), Jordan Mailata (concussion), Andre Dillard (concussion), Greg Ward (toe), Grant Calcaterra (hamstring).
BoSco is a brand new addition right here. He took a giant hit from Marcus Epps throughout Thursday’s apply.
McCain was upgraded to restricted after lacking a number of practices.
The Eagles added tight finish Jaeden Graham to injured reserve checklist, giving them an open roster spot to work with.
• Spoiler alert for right this moment’s BGN Radio episode: Kyzir White is my MVP of the day. The veteran linebacker sniffed out a display screen to Miles Sanders and was in place to completely lay the wooden on him if the Eagles have been tackling to the bottom. White additionally jumped in entrance of a Hurts throw to Goedert for a cross breakup/close to choose. White’s velocity is spectacular and it permits him to make flash performs.
• A.J. Brown appeared like a person amongst boys when he stiff-armed Kary Vincent Jr. within the helmet after making a catch in the midst of the sector. Just toying with the DB.
• Interesting growth: Britain Covey seeing first group slot large receiver reps. This after Covey had his finest day of camp on Thursday. Covey had a pair stable moments right this moment, together with one the place he blazed by Ok’Von Wallace alongside the sideline after making a catch. On a nasty notice, Covey did drop a would-be landing on the ultimate rep of apply (throughout the developmental interval). Can Covey crack the roster as WR5 or WR6 and the highest punt returner? The preseason video games might be massive for figuring out his future.
• My man Jason Huntley had a day. Despite being the lightest working again on the group at 193 kilos, he trucked a defender within the open discipline on a run up the center. Huntley additionally had an excellent run in the direction of the left sideline the place he hit Josh Jobe with a grown-man stiff arm. It was that run that fired up plenty of his offensive teammates. “Yeah, Hunt!” Let the document present that Huntley’s received juice.
• Jalen Reagor nearly made a reasonably spectacular seize coming again to the ball alongside the left sideline however he couldn’t keep possession going to the bottom. Credit Jobe for tight protection on Reagor and probably knocking the ball out.
• Jobe had a PBU on a Gardner Minshew throw over the center. This was Jobe’s finest and most notable day. Comes at an excellent time for him together with his opponents (McCain, KVR, Moreland) getting injured.
• There was a rep the place both Miles Sanders had a really dangerous fumble or there was a botched handoff from Hurts. Either means, sloppy search for the offense.
• Derek Barnett has quietly had an excellent camp. And, to my reminiscence, he’s solely been penalized as soon as
• Milton Williams made a pleasant “tackle” on a display screen cross to Gainwell.
• Might’ve been Reid Sinnett’s worst apply. He compelled a ball into protection that received tipped and practically picked by Jared Mayden. Then he threw immediately to JaCoby Stevens for an interception in 7-on-7.
• Andre Chachere broke up a Minshew cross to Deon Cain on the catch level. No means that Wallace ought to be forward of Chachere on the depth chart.
• Carson Strong telegraphed a throw over the center to Noah Togiai that was simply knocked down by a defender. He adopted that up, although, with an correct ball to Keric Wheatfall on an out route. Nice to see a optimistic play from the rookie QB.
• Since I used to be specializing in 7-on-7 whereas OL vs. DL was occurring, permit me to outsource my notes on the trenches for this bullet level. Good observations right here from the Inquirer’s EJ Smith:
Lots of motion in OL/DL one-on-ones, some fast takeaways:
-Promptly after I wrote Cam Jurgens’ anchor is unbelievable, Jordan Davis bull rushed him straight into the QB.
-Sua Opeta with two wins in opposition to Javon Hargrave. Opeta is having a pleasant camp. #Eagles
— EJ Smith (@EJSmith94) August 6, 2022
I’ll add right here that I noticed UDFA offensive lineman Josh Sills have an excellent rep at left sort out whereas going up in opposition to Tarron Jackson. TJack has had some good cross dashing moments in camp so stone-walling Jackson was a top quality win for Sills.
• Today in Jimmy Kempski’s every day coaching camp interview collection for BGN Radio: No one. Jimmy forgot to cost his gear. Boo him on Twitter for me: @JimmyKempski.
UP NEXT: The Eagles are holding their first and solely apply open to the general public at Lincoln Financial Field beginning at 7:00 PM on Sunday night. [Click here for ticket information.] Then they’ll have a walkthrough closed to media on Monday.