Today marked the first Philadelphia Eagles coaching camp follow forward of the 2022 season. It was a comparatively mild session at solely 59 minutes lengthy. Here’s what I noticed at the NovaCare Complex. (NOTE: Stay tuned for our every day BGN Radio follow recap podcast that’ll be embedded proper right here as soon as the episode goes reside.)
• JALEN HURTS STOCK REPORT: With all eyes on the Eagles’ beginning quarterback this summer, we’re going to fee each Hurts follow efficiency with a inventory up, inventory even, or inventory down ranking. That method we are able to gauge the totality of how he appears to be like when camp is over.
Hurts bought off to start on Wednesday. It was good to see him use the center of the subject and eliminate the ball rapidly when he focused Kenneth Gainwell on a slant. The in-stride throw allowed Gainwell to gobble up yards after the catch.
The follow play of the day was when Hurts lofted a ball to Quez Watkins on a slot fade throughout a purple zone sequence. Perfect contact on the back-shoulder throw allowed Watkins to make a play on the ball in the air to beat Avonte Maddox. (Quez is a greater leap ball goal than some may assume based mostly on how he profiles as a velocity man.)
Hurts related with Watkins once more on a play the place he rolled proper, seemingly didn’t have his first learn or two, and then noticed Watkins streaking throughout the again of the finish zone at the final second to discover him for the rating.
Hurts would’ve had one other purple zone landing throw had DeVonta Smith not dropped a brief go rapidly to him over the center. Smith had a nasty launch to create house however he couldn’t maintain on. The out of character error prompted pushups from him.
Now for the unhealthy.
Hurts was nearly picked off by Brandon Graham — sure, Brandon Graham — after the ball slipped out of his arms whereas throwing. Lane Johnson performed protection to break it up and make it an incompletion as a substitute of a choose. Not fairly.
Hurts had Dallas Goedert open out of his break in the left aspect of the finish zone however he failed to throw with anticipation, which allowed Marcus Epps to leap in entrance for an interception.
Hurts left one other rating on the subject when he had Watkins open on the proper aspect of the finish zone and opted to run as a substitute. It was curious as a result of Hurts seemingly noticed Watkins there however didn’t have the confidence to pull the set off on the throw. The alternative value there gained’t be mirrored in Hurts’ coaching camp stats going round on social media.
Hurts had a purple zone go for DeVonta damaged up by Zech McPhearson. DeVonta tried his greatest to make a one-handed seize however he could not reel it in. A greater throw makes life simpler on the vast receiver.
Overall, I can’t say Hurts regarded night time and day completely different from final 12 months. That’s hardly the finish of the world; it’s solely someday of coaching camp. And it may be what needs to be anticipated contemplating he began slower final 12 months and completed sturdy.
But for Day 1? Stock even.
• Not a brilliant lively day for A.J. Brown. He did have a really quick landing reception at one level but it surely wasn’t something flashy in any respect. Just Hurts hitting him alongside the objective line on a crosser for a 3-yard landing.
• EAGLES INJURY UPDATES: The Eagles positioned Tyree Jackson, Brett Toth, and Richard Rodgers on the lively/PUP checklist. Dick Rod is the solely shock there. Elsewhere, Jason Kelce and Keric Wheatfall missed follow due to “COVID progression.” That’s how the staff is describing it. Fletcher Cox and Anthony Harris had been out at follow however missed staff drills due to “COVID progression” as nicely. Zach Pascal was listed out due to “illness.” It’s a comparatively wholesome roster to start camp. Perhaps the healthiest they’ve been in years.
Brandon Graham says he’s full go. No restrictions coming off his Achilles harm. He looks like his ACL harm earlier in his profession was worse. #Eagles
— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) July 27, 2022
• Miles Sanders bobbled his first coaching camp goal fairly a bit. Not what you need to see after he struggled with drops final summer. He simply hasn’t been what you need him to be as a pass-catcher since his rookie season.
• With Cox lacking staff drills, Marlon Tuipulotu noticed some first staff motion. Same for Ok’Von Wallace with Harris out. It was not follow for Wallace, nonetheless. He noticeably bought washed out in run protection on one rep and allowed a landing to Watkins on one other. I should not have Wallace making the roster in my newest 53-man projection.
• It was an honest follow for Jalen Reagor. Of course, he was going up in opposition to 2s and 3s. Nothing overly spectacular but it surely was a stable exhibiting. No huge errors. The Eagles utilized him on a shovel go play with Gardner Minshew flicking it to him for the landing.
• James Bradberry was criticized by newly-promoted Eagles defensive passing sport coordinator/defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson for a scarcity of eye self-discipline on a play the place he trailed Goedert, who scored a landing on a crosser.
• Kary Vincent Jr. broke up an out route by Carson Strong to Grant Calcaterra. KVJ did some good issues in OTA so he continues to development in the proper course as a second string CB.
• Calcaterra had a pair high quality purple zone snags. Including one over the center the place Minshew discovered a comfortable spot to hit him for the rating. Can we agree the rookie’s nickname needs to be Calculator?
Should Grant Calcaterra’s nickname be Calculator?
• Active follow for T.J. Edwards. He stripped A.J. Brown to trigger a fumble after the receiver made a brief catch and took no less than two steps. Edwards later was in place to blow up a display supposed for Gainwell.
• Marvin “Big Marv” Wilson knocked down Reid Sinnett’s first passing try of the day. Reps for Sinnett and Strong had been pretty restricted, which can seemingly proceed to be the case this summer. They’ll get extra alternatives in the preseason video games.
• My man Jason Huntley had a pleasant landing run on a toss the place he beat the protection to the nook for the rating. After he did that, I pointed to him and checked out Jimmy Kempski to say “That’s my guy.” Jimmy responded with a “Your guy?!” as if he claimed Huntley first. Let’s go to the tape, lets?
Wish Jason Huntley was on the Eagles’ roster as a substitute of the follow squad. He’s their greatest KR.
— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) September 12, 2021
In addition, I’ve Huntley making the 53-man roster whereas Jimmy merely has him listed as a bubble player.
Huntley is clearly my man. But I instructed Jimmy I’ll let the readers and listeners weigh in to assist settle the rating:
Is Jason Huntley BLG’s man or Jimmy’s man?
• Five gamers had been again to subject punts throughout particular groups drills: Greg Ward, Jalen Reagor, Britain Covey, Quez Watkins, and Lance Lenoir.
• The Eagles are taking some further steps to assist forestall concussions occurring in follow:
— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) July 27, 2022
• Always cool to see gamers present love to the followers:
- With the announcement that Wrestlemania is coming to Philly in 2024, the Eagles had been seemingly doing a WWE promotion after follow.
• Howie Roseman and Nick Sirianni spoke prior to follow. BGN’s Alexis Chassen coated these takeaways in a separate article.
• New sequence on BGN Radio this 12 months! Jimmy Kempski and I can be interviewing varied folks (reporters, broadcasters, gamers, and many others.) on the sideline throughout the extra mundane components of follow similar to warmups. These shorter episodes will sometimes be uploaded throughout follow to allow them to maintain you over as you look ahead to our notes and recap pods. Here’s the debut episode with Jimmy speaking to former BGN author Eliot Shorr-Parks:
• Another shameless podcast plug: The newest episode of the NFC East Mixtape. R.J. Ochoa and I talked about the Cowboys not believing in Mike McCarthy, Hurts’ rating amongst NFL quarterbacks, the Giants and Commanders coping with harm points, how to tie sneakers, the good coaching camp night meal, and way more.
UP NEXT: The Eagles have a walkthrough on Thursday that’s closed to the media. They’ll return to motion on Friday morning at 10:00 AM Eastern.