Today marked the second Philadelphia Eagles coaching camp apply forward of the 2022 NFL season. This session went about quarter-hour longer than Wednesday’s apply that clocked in just below an hour. Here’s what I noticed at the NovaCare Complex. [Note: Stay tuned for today’s BGN Radio’s practice recap podcast that will be posted here once it’s live.]
• JALEN HURTS STOCK REPORT: Just not a superb day for Hurts and the offense as an entire.
Hurts threw too excessive on a brief cross supposed for Watkins in 7-on-7.
11-on-11 didn’t go a lot better. Hurts was additionally inaccurate on an out path to Dallas Goedert; the tight finish solely managed to get one outstretched hand on the ball. Hurts threw one other cross to a crossing Goedert that was off course huge and low.
There was a rep the place Hurts ended up checking all the way down to Kenneth Gainwell in the flat after seemingly having A.J. Brown streaking open deep down the discipline. Perhaps Brown was not as simply obtainable to Hurts in his development … however not seeing the total discipline has beforehand been a difficulty for him.
Hurts’ worst throw got here when he bought picked off by Avonte Maddox. It was unclear what he was even going for on that play; he threw right into a crowded space.
Hurts’ best throw got here when he linked with Brown on a publish down the proper sideline for a 25-yard achieve or so.
Overall, not an encouraging day for QB1. Stock down.
• JALEN HURTS STOCK TRACKER
Day 1: Stock even
Day 2: Stock down
• In Hurts’ protection, it’s not like he was the solely quarterback to wrestle. Gardner Minshew was picked off by Andre Chachere after forcing a ball over the center into tight protection. Minshew did have a superb deep throw to Jack Stoll.
• EAGLES INJURY REPORT: Zach Pascal and Keric Wheatfall (a participant you undoubtedly know is on the staff) each missed apply. Unlike Wednesday the place he was lacking solely, Pascal attended apply and watched the motion from the sideline. He’s seemingly coping with some shit.
Wouldnt want meals poison on no man.
— Zach Pascal (@ZachPascal6) July 28, 2022
Fletcher Cox and Jason Kelce are nonetheless restricted to non-team drills as they get well from COVID. It’s not like these vets have to be taking a ton of reps anyway.
• Interesting Eagles working again utilization right now. Kenneth Gainwell was the first staff working again. In addition to utilizing him as a runner, the Eagles had Gainwell cut up out huge at occasions. Miles Sanders was taking carries with the second staff.
• Goedert made a powerful one-handed seize to snag an off-target Hurts display cross that the QB needed to get off shortly with stress in his face.
• A.J. Brown dropped a fast slant throw from Hurts in 7-on-7. Brown had the eighth-worst drop price in the NFL final 12 months, in keeping with Pro Football Focus. He additionally fumbled a ball in the first apply very shortly after taking two steps. Brown’s clearly gifted and bodily imposing however his butterfingers is perhaps a difficulty to observe.
• Kyzir White arguably had the play of apply when he flew up the discipline to notch a “sack” on Hurts, who had drifted to the left and was unable to even get the ball off. Impressive closing velocity is considered one of White’s optimistic attributes that Jonny Page highlighted in an All-22 movie overview for BGN. The Eagles’ off-ball linebackers may make some vital contributions to their cross rush this season.
• Again, I wouldn’t merely assume Nakobe Dean goes to have a large function from the bounce. Edwards is having a superb offseason and White has flashed. It’s been a quieter go for Dean.
• Spoiler alert: For right now’s BGN Radio, I’m giving right now’s apply MVP level to Mac McCain III. He’s my man like Jason Huntley is my man on offense. McCain had a pair of good breakups. The first one occurred when he closed in on a goal for Jalen Reagor over the center of the discipline. The tipped ball was picked off by Davion Taylor. Later in apply, McCain broke up a shorter throw. The Eagles have quite a few younger corners competing for backup spot(s) behind the prime 4 of Darius Slay, James Bradberry, Avonte Maddox, and Zech McPhearson. Kary Vincent Jr. and McCain are the strongest contenders for CB5 to this point. The latter confirmed some particular groups chops final 12 months in order that may very well be working in his favor.
• James Bradberry broke up a cross supposed for Reagor. After a stable first apply, Reagor didn’t positively contribute right now. Bad issues occurred when he was focused.
• Active day for Davion Taylor. In addition to catching a tipped ball for a decide, he broke up a cross by placing a pop on Boston Scott proper after the ball touched the working again’s palms. Taylor was lively early on in camp final 12 months earlier than getting harm. Taylor is a protected guess to make the roster … however his function is at the moment unclear. With extra days like right now, he’s going to make a case for being on the discipline.
• Carson Strong’s reps are very restricted. Hurts and Minshew take a bulk of the reps. The restricted leftovers are then divided between him and Reid Sinnett. Strong did flip in a top quality throw right now when he uncorked a deep try to Britain Covey. The ball was there for the play to be made however Covey didn’t reside as much as his finish of the cut price by bringing it in.
• UDFA cornerback Mario Goodrich, now carrying No. 31 with Craig James getting minimize earlier than camp, logged a cross breakup on a Strong cross.
• Former Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio — a Dunmore, PA native — was a visitor at right now’s apply. More than a coincidence that the protection had a powerful exhibiting?! Just a joke … however the Eagles ought to actually rent him as an assistant.
• Kelce added some additional safety to his Guardian Cap:
• Slow ft don’t eat:
• Ball safety drill the place Nick Sirianni will get on Quez Watkins:
• Post-practice scenes embrace A.J. Brown performing some “sprints” together with his daughter:
And Brandon Graham being the best:
UP NEXT: The Eagles are again at apply tomorrow (Saturday, July 30) beginning at 10:00 AM Eastern. Then they’ll be off on Sunday earlier than returning to motion on Monday.