An ideal day of observe in Latrobe, PA Monday because the Pittsburgh Steelers placed on the pads for the primary time. Full-contact, residing hitting, and a ton of pleasure. Also loads for us to debate. Let’s dive in.
We are thrilled to once more have Len Testa and Touring Plans as a yearly sponsor of Steelers Depot’s coaching camp protection. They’ve been a long-time sponsor of the location and our camp notes. You can use their journey planner instrument to “show you the least crowded park to visit every day, customized touring plans for visiting Disney’s best rides, honest restaurant reviews, how to save on Disney tickets, the best hotel rooms to ask for, and so much more.”
Camp Notes (Day Five)
– Injury roundup. Not working towards as we speak have been: WR Chase Claypool (shoulder), TE Pat Freiermuth (hamstring), LB Marcus Allen (hamstring), S Miles Killebrew (pec), RB Jeremy McNichols (shoulder), and I don’t assume I noticed Levi Wallace on the market, no less than not in group drills as we speak. Larry Ogunjobi continues to not see work throughout group drills. Good information is Connor Heyward (proper ankle) practiced in full after getting rolled up on late throughout Saturday’s observe. Freiermuth additionally jogged on the facet, a optimistic signal for his return.
One mid-practice harm to notice. RB Najee Harris damage his left foot on his first carry of group session. He did attempt to take a pair extra group reps however didn’t end out the day. He spent the again half of observe with head coach John Norwig. They gave the impression to be taking a look at a pill, maybe going over the play/harm, and talked for no less than six minutes based on my notes. Harris had his left shoe/sock off for a part of observe earlier than placing it on in direction of the top. Mike Tomlin known as it minor and that matches up with what I noticed.
– Newly signed WR Javon McKinley will put on #21. An odd quantity for a giant receiver like him however hey, it beats sitting at residence. He set to work immediately with reps in group drills.
– FS Damontae Kazee on the JUGS machine early. He dropped his first move so he may use the work.
– On cue, Karl Joseph first one on the sphere at 1:16, greater than a half-hour earlier than observe really started.
– Connor Heyward was wholesome however performed the function of Alfredo Roberts’ helper, getting the blocking sled and chutes in place for the tight ends once they went via positional drills.
– While Danny Smith is technically the one particular groups coach listed on the Steelers’ employees, he actually doesn’t work alone in camp with a 90-man roster and wish to maximise the few particular classes the group will get. Blaine Stewart is likely one of the coaches who helps out and has an energetic function throughout observe with the particular teamers and as Frisman Jackson’s assistant WR coach. I do marvel if Stewart is just a little bummed not being named the full-time WRs coach with Jackson coming in as a substitute. Frankly, I believed Stewart would’ve gotten a much bigger function within the faculty sport, his identify was gaining buzz a couple of years in the past, however perhaps COVID impacted issues.
– I don’t wish to be hypercritical of drops however WR Steven Sims drops a number of them. Haven’t seen it in group, he hasn’t been focused a lot, however he lets lots via his palms engaged on air, together with one as we speak.
– While George Pickens has been spectacular and I don’t need to put chilly water on that concept, there’s nonetheless work to do. Mostly as a route runner and being extra nuanced and on-time. Broke too early on a ten-yard dig as we speak and Fris Jackson informed him “too quick” as he went via and (double-caught) the soccer. He cleans up his routes and he’ll be a star.
– Heard a few of the teaching factors throughout the particular groups session engaged on protection unit block deconstruction.
“Head across, thumbs up!”
“Don’t put your head [in the block]” – Danny Smith on not moving into the blocker’s pads so you retain sight of the ball.
– Ok, let’s speak about group classes.
First Team Session (Seven Shots)
1. Kevin Dotson first group LG. Mitch Trubisky in at QB. Zach Gentry excited and claps his palms whereas the protection will get the gang cheering. George Pickens, Anthony Miller, and Calvin Austin the three WRs. Devin Bush and Myles Jack the ILBs. Ahkello Witherspoon and Cam Sutton the CBs with Najee Harris within the backfield. Shotgun handoff to Harris who churns his legs and falls over the objective line for a rating.
2. Gentry goes in movement pre-snap. Trubisky fade left facet for George Pickens with Cam Sutton overlaying. Sutton could have been just a little grabby and the move is incomplete, falling over Pickens’ left shoulder as he by no means actually discovered the soccer and acquired his physique rotated.
3. Harris on the carry once more. Close to see if he acquired in nevertheless it appeared Robert Spillane and Damontae Kazee teamed as much as cease him contained in the one-yard line.
4. Benny Snell in at RB. Trubisky appears for Miller on a slant however he can’t clear the beneath defender and the move clips off his prolonged left hand as Miller dives out. Incomplete.
5. Kenny Pickett coming in, operating 2nd group. Fade for Miles Boykin within the again proper nook is incomplete. Justin Layne good protection however Boykin wasn’t in place to catch it.
6. Pickett has Connor Heyward open on a pivot route, Heyward stemming inside and breaking outdoors, however Heyward slips as he breaks out, inflicting Pickett’s move to fall incomplete.
7. Mason Rudolph coming in for a lone rep. Anthony McFarland within the backfield with Heyward and Jace Sternberger the tight ends. 12 personnel. Shovel move to Sternberger as he dives over the objective line for a landing. Defense wins seven photographs once more, 5-2. They’ve been answerable for these settings.
Second Team Session
1. 12 personnel. Najee Harris will get the carry. I believed he slipped however this appears to be when somebody stepped on his foot as Harris tried to chop and bounce to his left. Myles Jack got here in free to take him down. No achieve.
2. Jack and Bush the ILBs. Witherspoon and Sutton the surface CBs. Kendrick Green now in at LG. Snell run left facet, Devin Bush making the deal with from behind for a achieve of two.
3. 21 personnel. Spillane sheds James Daniels’ block and tackles Snell after a run of 5. “Good run, Benny!” Mike Tomlin calls out. Mike Tomlin loves him some Benny Snell Football™.
4. Chris Wormley and Montravius Adams the DTs. Mitch Trubisky in at QB for the ultimate of his 4 reps. Alex Highsmith is available in bottom to chase down Anthony McFarland for a lack of three. Good group protection right here. Highsmith wasn’t the one one and so they have been swarming.
5. Kenny Pickett now in at QB. McFarland places his head down and plows forward. Karl Joseph fills the alley with a wholesome collision. Gain of three.
6. Carlos Davis and Henry Mondeaux the DTs. McFarland run of six, good blocking by the o-line. Joseph ends issues once more with a reasonably large stick. Joseph throwing his weight round with the pads approaching.
7. 21 personnel. Playaction. Pickett throws a strike to Miles Boykin on a dig over the center with the LBs sucked up. Gain of 12. Could’ve been extra run-after however the DB pulled up as a substitute of clocking him and Boykin dove all the way down to the bottom.
8. Pop move on a jet movement by Calvin Austin from Pickett. Austin turns the nook left and has area with two defenders attempting to corral him. Austin shook the one (didn’t catch who) and almost acquired out of James Pierre’s grasp, who needed to flip his hips and drag Austin down on this full-tackle drill. Nice quicks from Austin right here. Call it a achieve of 13.
9. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Jaylen Warren with run and leg drive. Well-blocked two and good points eight.
10. Tyler Vaughns and Calvin Austin the WRs. 12 personnel with Zach Gentry and Kevin Rader within the sport. Jordan Tucker false begins and will get pulled out of the road. Joe Haeg is available in to exchange. On the snap, Mataeo Durant run proper facet. Tre Norwood threw his physique into the alley however Durant was in a position to preserve trucking and keep on his ft for achieve of 9.
11. Chris Steele and Linden Stephens on the surface with Carlins Platel within the slot. Gunner Olszewski mentioning throughout. Jaylen Warren run left facet. Sees a crack however Mark Robinson shuts it down with a powerful knock. Tomlin’s impressed and audibly says as a lot after because the protection will get fairly amped up.
12. Mataeo Durant swallowed up because the entrance seven swarms. Khalil Davis was in there and I believe Robinson was too. He was geeked going to the sideline and acquired loads extra reward.
Third Team Session
1. Devin Bush and Myles Jack the ILB. Chris Wormley and Cam Heyward the DTs. Trubisky in at QB with Kazee and Edmunds the safeties. Najee Harris at QB. Zach Gentry at TE. TJ Watt standing up because the LOLB, Alex Highsmith because the RDE. Trubisky hits Gentry in the proper flat for a achieve of three.
2. Bush and Spillane the ILBs. Witherspoon and Sutton the CBs. Watt the LDE and Highsmith the ROLB. Trubisky good zip on a throw over the center with George Pickens plucking it coming throughout operating left to proper. Arthur Maulet making the deal with right here as he can’t knock the ball out. Gain of six.
3. Benny Snell in at RB. Screen proper. But Jack sees it the entire method and tags him up (no full-tackling on this drill, extra like thud contact) on the line for no achieve. Good recognition and end by Jack.
4. Derrek Tuszka and Genard Avery the EDGE rushers with Carlos Davis/Montravius Adams the DTs. Dime personnel with simply Myles Jack on the sphere. Don’t see dime too usually in camp. Six DBs have been: Witherspoon, Pierre (RCB), Sutton (slot), Kazee/Edmunds and Tre Norwood. Trubisky to Jace Sternberger in the proper flat however Kazee will get in on the cease. Gain of seven. Carlos Davis good bull rush to get stress.
5. Kenny Pickett coming in. Eight-yard completion to Connor Heyward on a curl. Karl Joseph tosses him all the way down to wrap issues up.
6. Cody White and Miles Boykin on the surface with Gunner Olszewski within the slot. Pickett palms within the pocket too lengthy earlier than lastly scrambling proper and hitting Boykin alongside the sideline who makes the catch for a ten-yard achieve earlier than getting shoved out of bounds and to the bottom. It was ball on the run for Pickett.
7. McFarland in at RB. Trent Scott false begins and has to do a semi-lap, jogging about 30 yards down the left sideline, crossing out of bounds, and circling again. Derek Watt display screen left from Pickett as soon as the play is reset and snapped. Twelve-yard achieve with Henry Mondeaux chasing laborious and tackling Watt from behind.
8. OL of Dixon-Owens-Gilliam-Green-Tucker. Mason Rudolph i at QB. Throw left facet for Heyward is incomplete, hitting off Heyward’s outstretched hand. Karl Joseph had the protection.
9. Rudolph hitches up and fires nevertheless it’s batted down by Delontae Scott on the line. Incomplete.
10. Steele/Stephens the surface corners with Platel within the slot. Norwood and Stiner at security. Screen left to Warren goes for 5 earlier than Norwood will get there.
11. Doug Costin and Donovan Jeter the DTs. Scott and Moultry the OLBs, Robinson and Gilbert the ILBs. For the second time in three throws, Rudolph has his move batted down. This time by Costin who has achieved effectively to get his palms up in throwing lanes this camp.
Fourth Team Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 38. Run to Snell goes nowhere with Jack filling it.
2. Trubisky playaction. Chris Wormley had the “sack” and Trubisky simply tucked and ran.
3. Snell up the center for seven. Good blocks. Kazee with the deal with to the bottom.
4. One of the perfect throws of the day. Trubisky rolls proper. Low-high learn with Cody White within the flat because the #1 learn. But it’s well-covered and brought away. Trubisky works to his subsequent learn and hits Anthony Miller on a crosser proper to left for 15 yards. Good development and throw on the transfer to his left.
5. Kenny Pickett would’ve been sacked about six instances as he looked for a receiver. He finally simply ran with the ball. Playaction right here.
6. Thud deal with. McFarland run proper facet for 5. “Ball search” coaches name out to the protection.
7. 21 personnel. Derek Watt and Jaylen Warren on the market. Isaiahh Loudermilk flushes Pickett to his proper. He hits checkdown to Warren for 3 with UG3 throwing a excessive shoulder into Warren’s physique.
8. OL of: Scott-Dotson-Hassenauer-Leglue-Haeg. RPO with Pickett firing to Olszewski on a slant over the center. Similar to the Kazee/Austin play and hit the opposite day, Olszewski takes a pop from Norwood however he holds on right here. Gain of seven. Good catch.
9. Durant reveals burst proper facet for six.
10. Rudolph within the sport. Fakes the handoff to Warren after which hits Warren in the proper flat. Gain of 4. Carlins Platel runs via Warren to the touch him up.
11. Tuzar Skipper sheds Jake Dixon’s block to cease Warren on the line of scrimmage.
12. Rudolph connects with Tyler Vaughns over the center for 15. T.D. Moultry got here up the center and I believe he made helmet-to-helmet contact with Rudolph, unable to totally pull up on the finish. That’s a no-no for the QBs and based mostly off his physique language and a few coaches speaking with him, I believe he was made conscious of that truth.
Fifth Team Session
1. Red zone drill. Ball on the 24. Trubisky in at QB, Snell at RB. 3×1 “nub” formation. Trubisky checkdown to Snell for a achieve of 5. Spillane on the tag.
2. Witherspoon and Sutton the surface corners. Cody White and Calvin Austin on the sphere. 21 personnel, Derek Watt at FB and Connor Heyward as a hand-down, in-line tight finish. Snell proper facet for a achieve of two with Montravius Adams shedding the block and making the cease.
3. Anthony McFarland in at operating again. Good achieve of six. Toss left with LT Dan Moore Jr. out in area, throwing an incredible pancake block that put Cam Sutton flat on his again.
4. Trubisky feeling stress from Loudermilk. Flushed left and hits Cody White entrance left pylon for the TD from ten yards out.
5. Kenny Pickett within the sport, ball on the 21. Playaction. Pass to Anthony Miller is short-armed and low, skipping incomplete.
6. Steven Sims and Cody White on the surface with Gunner Olszewski within the slot. Kevin Rader the Y. Inside zone by Anthony McFarland left facet. Spillane fills after a achieve of 4.
7. 21 personnel. Jet run to Calvin Austin who good points the sting and will get into the top zone, celebrating with John Leglue lifts him up over his head Grease type. 13 yard TD.
8. Pickett will get yet another rep to complete out his work. This isn’t a two minute drill so coaches will play quick and unfastened with downs and the spot of the ball to work on totally different situational issues. Empty set initially earlier than Warren motions in. Throw ultimately zone supposed for Heyward is effectively over his head and incomplete. Might have been a semi-throwaway as a result of Heyward wasn’t actually open.
9. Mason Rudolph is available in. Hits Olszewski on a shallow cross for 3. Buddy Johnson on the cease. Olszewski’s Guardian Cap almost got here off and he needed to smush it again on his helmet like a foul toupee.
10. Sims and Boykin the WRs in 12 personnel with Sternberger and Gentry the TEs. Warren carry left facet. Mess of our bodies piled up that facet and Warren will get popped by Stiner on the opposite facet, knocking him down. Gain of three.
11. Sims and Olszewski on the surface with Miller within the slot. Warren toss proper facet. Gain of say 5. Good burst there to the nook.
12. Rudolph scrambles proper. He misses an open Sims for too lengthy however finally finds him and hits him for a five-yard TD to finish the day.
– Though not listed chronologically, right here’s each rep of the backs on ‘backers, all the time a crowd favourite and one the group does on the primary day in pads.
Backs on ‘Backers
1. Najee Harris anchors and wins towards Myles Jack, who couldn’t energy his method via.
2. Alex Highsmith with the long-arm into Zach Gentry’s pads however he can’t dip or disengage previous him.
3. Genard Avery with bull rush on Kevin Rader, although Rader saves just a little face on the finish and lands on prime of Avery.
4. Nice anchor by Anthony McFarland to rebuff Buddy Johnson’s bull rush. Johnson faucets McFarland’s helmet on the finish to say “good job.”
5. Najee Harris once more profitable towards energy, locking up and controlling Devin Bush.
6. Tuzar Skipper turns the nook on Connor Heyward late. Not an incredible rep for Heyward who was attempting to remain balanced.
7. Skipper with a bull/swim to beat Heyward.
8. Jaylen Warren and Mark Robinson collide and each are off-balanced with Robinson attempting to shove Warren off as he stumbles a bit to his proper (Warren’s left). Good battle.
9. The two go once more Warren runs his ft on contact and stalls out Robinson’s bull rush. Najee Harris is hyped for Warren and leaping up and down.
10. Delontae Scott rips the sting engaged on Gentry.
11. Scott this time with an out of doors head-fake and swim to the within to cleanly beat Gentry.
12. Mataeo Durant mirrors Ulysees Gilbert III’s spin, although he falls off late within the rep.
13. Kevin Rader anchors towards T.D. Moultry’s bull rush.
14. Devin Bush tries to membership Benny Snell right here. Not certain who the winner was.
15. Here, Snell wins, mirroring Bush’s inside spin try.
16. Jace Sternberger seals the sting towards Alex Highsmith’s velocity rush.
17. They re-rack issues and Highsmith wins with a bull/swim over Sternberger.
18. Bit of an odd one right here. Harris and Robert Spillane going up towards one another however Harris barely places palms on Spillane, who wins round him.
19. They go once more and Harris wins, once more anchoring down with a powerful base. Can’t win with energy towards Harris.
20. Genard Avery wins towards Connor Heyward.
21. Heyward saves just a little face right here, sealing the sting after which getting sq. as Avery tries to show again in.
22. Myles Jack with one of many pops of the day, a heavy collision with Derek Watt. Hit so laborious Watt’s guardian cap shifted atop his helmet.
23. Jack with finesse this time, profitable with an inside spin transfer although it got here fairly late within the rep.
24. Derrek Tuszka can’t rip previous Zach Gentry.
25. Delontae Scott with bull to knock Zach Gentry again, getting beneath his pads. At some level throughout the drill, Gentry was speaking with TEs Coach Alfredo Roberts about hand placement and leverage.
26. Nice rep by Buddy Johnson, utilizing energy to run via McFarland.
27. Johnson wins once more, this time swiping McFarland’s palms down and operating previous.
28. Tuzar Skipper misses his punch on Kevin Rader although the 2 battle and Skipper wins late.
29. Skipper beats Rader across the edge.
30. Jaylen Warren seals Robert Spillane.
31. Warren once more wins towards Spillane. Nice job by Warren right here.
32. Connor Heyward hop stepping backwards to defend T.D. Moultry’s bull rush and Moultry swims him late.
– And right here’s OL/DL reps.
1. Alex Highsmith rips via Dan Moore Jr. across the edge.
2. Cam Heyward pushes again Kendrick Green on a bull rush although I’ve seen Green lose worst towards it, I suppose.
3. Nice push/pull by Montravius Adams to trigger Mason Cole to double-over and fall.
4. James Daniels hop steps backward towards Chris Wormley’s bull rush earlier than regaining some management and tossing Wormley down.
5. Chukwuma Okorafor will get an excessive amount of depth and permits T.J. Watt inside fairly simply.
6. Dan Moore jumps early and so they reset, a operating theme of the session with a number of early motion on either side of the ball. Highsmith once more rips via on the prime.
7. Bull to tear from Cam Heyward however he can’t shed Green.
8. Mason Cole sticks and mirrors towards Montravius Adams.
9. Wormley bull rushes Daniels and swims over him late.
10. Okorafor rides Watt up the arc.
11. Genard Avery with an efficient long-arm towards Trent Scott who loses his footing and slip ‘n slides all the way down to the bottom on his stomach.
12. Scott will get some revenge and mirrors Avery effectively right here.
13. Kevin Dotson anchors towards Isaiahh Loudermilk.
14. Loudermilk’s rip transfer fails towards Dotson.
15. Good energy by Henry Mondeaux to overwhelm J.C. Hassenauer.
16. Quick burst and swipe by Carlos Davis to beat John Leglue.
17. They go once more and Davis makes use of a bull rush to stroll Leglue again.
18. Joe Haeg seals Derrek Tuszka upfield.
19. Tuszka tries a fast spin however runs himself proper into Haeg’s punch, knocking himself to the bottom in a TKO.
20. Trent Scott shoves Delontae Scott up the arc, who tried however couldn’t rip via.
21. Scott with punch and beats Scott inside, who’s slow-footed and may’t mirror.
22. Really good push/pull by Loudermilk on Dotson. Strong rep and I need to see him use it extra usually.
23. Mondeaux a win towards Hassenauer.
24. Good bull by DeMarvin Leal on John Leglue who walks him again, although he couldn’t shed.
25. Leal strikes early and so they should reset. But on the snap, Leal with an incredible burst to get upfield and rip via for one of many quickest wins of the day. Leal retains flashing when he can fly upfield.
26. Haeg steers Avery upfield, who has to get actual skinny to nook and win very late within the rep.
– Anyone who says Kenny Pickett had an incredible day is overstating issues however his final two practices have been a bit higher. Second-team didn’t imply getting extra reps however clearly enjoying with extra proficient gamers (although going through a 2nd group protection in fact). Still has to get the ball out faster.
– RB Jaylen Warren is perhaps the identify to observe. Squatty physique with good leg drive and I cherished his output and aggressive nature, his fearlessness, in backs on ‘backers. Dude put his face in the fan with good bend and feet. Working as an upback, involved in special teams…I’m keeping track of him.
– With McNichols and Harris dinged, we might be seeing one other RB introduced in tomorrow. Lines getting quick within the backfield because the pads come on.
– Like I discussed above, George Pickens has all of the expertise on this planet. Coaches job is to make him a extra refined and technical participant, particularly along with his routes. That’s the #1 factor he’s gotta work on. Will say whereas I didn’t watch WRs/DBs, did catch Pickens make an incredible diving catch deep down the left facet in an early rep.
– No must freak out over in the future and it’s not like now we have All-22 to comb via each rep however from what I noticed, James Daniels didn’t have an excellent days. Looking for one thing higher tomorrow.
– Praised the offensive line for being mistake-free final week. Two false begins as we speak by Tucker and Scott and the entire OL/DL group was leaping like loopy in 1v1. On the optimistic facet, their general run blocking appeared fairly strong.
– Isaiahh Loudermilk’s gotta use energy rushes to his benefit. Push/pull and bull ought to be his prime strikes. Finesse isn’t his sport and he wants to comprehend that.
– Carlos Davis’ low-cost shot on Jake Dixon the opposite day apart, he’s appeared explosive as a move rusher in drills and in group. Don’t overlook about him within the DL room. Doug Costin additionally trying like a volleyball participant along with his batted down passes.
– Delontae Scott one of many huge winners of the day. Great in backs on ‘backers and dominated Zach Gentry. Batted ball in team and his run defense has been solid. He’s combating laborious for a roster spot.
– Myles Jack has been Steady Eddie. Run protection, protection, basic availability. Here’s hoping he’s the reply at ILB. So far, so good.
– Karl Joseph bodily in run session. Throwing his weight round. Miles Killebrew lacking time has been Joseph’s profit.
Saint Vincent Snapshot
George Pickens on the blocking sled. New WRs coach Frisman Jackson getting critical about bettering WR run blocking. I’m all for it.
Twitter Camp Twitter Question
How’s Dan lookin
— Golo (@GoloFromKyotoo) August 1, 2022
Good thus far. Haven’t had a number of notes on him. But in fine condition, athlete, that block on Sutton was one thing else, and he’s a tough employee. But lengthy methods to go in a giant second 12 months for Moore.
Random Steelers’ Fact
Jerome Bettis tied the NFL report few fewest yards in a sport whereas speeding for 3 touchdowns. Bettis carried the ball 5 instances for one yard and three touchdowns in a 2004 win over the Raiders. He tied Hank Bauer’s 1979 mark.
George Carlin’s Quote Of The Day
“Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be.”