Day Four of Pittsburgh Steelers’ coaching camp is within the books. The final day of the “ramp-up” interval that’s been a glorified OTA session. Monday would be the enjoyable day with the pads approaching and full-contact occurring. But right this moment was nonetheless a fantastic day with a unbelievable crowd, ambiance, and climate. Let’s dive in.
We are thrilled to once more have Len Testa and Touring Plans as a yearly sponsor of Steelers Depot’s coaching camp protection. They’ve been a long-time sponsor of the location and our camp notes. You can use their journey planner software to “show you the least crowded park to visit every day, customized touring plans for visiting Disney’s best rides, honest restaurant reviews, how to save on Disney tickets, the best hotel rooms to ask for, and so much more.”
Camp Notes (Day Four)
– Injury Recap: No Chase Claypool (shoulder) however there’s no brace or sling or something on his injured proper shoulder. So little concern there. TE Pat Freiermuth (hamstring) stays out as does S Miles Killebrew (pec). Freiermuth served as an assistant coach by some TE positional drills, holding the bag for gamers to run by/be hit with to apply ball safety.
Good information was that CB Levi Wallace (sickness) returned and labored in full right this moment. In-practice accidents embody LB Marcus Allen (proper hamstring) who pulled up on the very finish of a play chasing Anthony McFarland downfield. TE Connor Heyward (proper ankle) acquired tripped up by T.D. Moultry in 7v7 and didn’t end apply, lacking the ultimate staff session. Had it iced and wrapped to complete out the day.
– Walked into camp and noticed a fan carrying a Dwayne Haskins Ohio State jersey. Pretty cool.
– As has turn out to be the norm, S Karl Joseph first man on the sphere at 1:18. Took one other ten minutes for anybody else to get down there: OLB Derrek Tuszka, OL John Leglue, and CB Ahkello Witherspoon, who walked down the steps at 1:28.
– Steelers’ drum line loud and proud right this moment, enjoying for followers as they walked in and for the gamers as they made their manner down the steps.
– Great feeling right this moment with a full crowd, sunny skies, and loads of ex-Steelers returning. Heath Miller and the Miller household have been right here after being inducted into the staff’s Hall of Honor. Ike Taylor has been right here for a pair days whereas Vince Williams was additionally at apply, hanging across the ILBs all day. Tomlin briefly spoke to the group and launched Miller, although followers already acknowledged him far earlier than Tomlin acquired on the mic.
— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) July 30, 2022
– Most gamers don’t signal autographs earlier than apply, ready till after as an alternative. But Larry Ogunjobi signed a stable 5 minutes earlier than hitting the sphere. Nice of him to do.
– First snap of warmups. Cody White and Anthony Miller the skin receivers with George Pickens within the slot. Lines somewhat quick with out Diontae Johnson or Claypool working.
– Anthony Miller, George Pickens, Steven Sims, Calvin Austin III, and Gunner Olszewski within the punt return traces. Even Diontae Johnson fielded one or two.
– Heath Miller stated hi there to a big chunk of the staff right this moment. After being intro’d by Tomlin and taking a photograph with him and Art Rooney II, Miler hung across the tight finish group in warmups, shaking Zach Gentry’s hand. He additionally acquired a hug from STs Coordinator Danny Smith and assistant head coach John Mitchell, two coaches who have been on workers when Miller performed. Speaks to the extent of continuity in Pittsburgh.
– Punt return catching problem. After failing on ball #6 yesterday, Anthony Miller redeemed himself right this moment and caught #6. Nearly had seven. Gunner Olszewski practically caught #6 however one fell out of his very full fingers and he skipped that soccer downfield with a hearty kick. Tyler Vaughns additionally caught 5 however not six whereas Calvin Austin and Steven Sims, two small dudes, didn’t have a lot success. I don’t suppose both acquired previous three.
– Quick notes on some gamers snapping throughout positional/skeleton drills because the QBs labored on WR pop passes: Nate Gilliam, Chris Owens, Mason Cole, and J.C. Hassenauer.
– Some of the offensive linemen shifted throughout apply. OT Jake Dixon seeing work at RT and OG Chris Owens seeing work at middle, although he performed much more middle than guard at Alabama. His middle snaps right this moment although appeared off the mark. Might have been rusty.
– Watching George Pickens work on-air. An excellent leaper and all the time high-pointing the soccer. Plucked the ball out of the air on a fade to the again proper pylon and snagged one other over his head on somewhat out ‘n up behind the top zone.
– As has occurred previously, the offensive linemen have been cut up into two teams between the 2 coaches, head OL coach Pat Meyer and assistant Isaac Williams. But it wasn’t cut up evenly into inside linemen and tackles like previous years. More mixing and matching between the 2. Meyer’s group had a blocking sled however with just one participant pushing it at a time earlier than coming off the block and dealing in the direction of a “linebacker,” a lineman holding a bag. Williams’ group was working mixture blocks in tandem. Looked like Meyer’s drills have been extra man-blocking targeted whereas Williams was zone blocking.
– No full punting classes right this moment with a rush, protection, and return, however I’m antsy and needed to get some hangtimes, although I wasn’t monitoring yards. Numbers for every man.
Pressley Harvin III: 4.67, 4.90, 4.49, 4.49, 4.83, and 4.72.
Cameron Nizialek: 4.46, 4.71, 3.63, and 4.72.
A “good” hangtime can range a bit based mostly on the state of affairs however Harvin’s numbers are good although once more, they’re on air and take them with a grain of salt. Overall, he punted persistently. Nizialek had one shank that went in all probability 25 yards and one-hopped into the bleachers.
– Marcus Allen and Jaylen Warren working as first and second-team upbacks right this moment. Karl Joseph and Benny Snell first-team wings, left and proper respectively, with Donovan Stiner and Mataeo Durant second-team wings, left and proper respectively.
– Some 7v7 notes. I’ll say I want George Pickens didn’t go away his ft fairly as typically as he does over the center. Some instances the place he doesn’t must and it’ll assist his YAC, which was one in every of his few negatives in school. Just a minor critique over a formidable begin.
To praise him, watched Pickens flip and throw a block on Cam Sutton after a teammate caught an beneath move. He didn’t bully Sutton or do something loopy however I really like seeing him have the IQ and energy to attempt to spring a block in 7v7. Don’t all the time see that. Pickens billed as a prepared and succesful blocker out of Georgia.
– Connor Heyward with two good reps in 7v7, making a fight catch in opposition to T.J. Watt making an attempt to swat the ball out to no avail. And Heyward shook T.D. Moultry on the play he acquired harm. But some good performs right this moment for the rookie.
– Tyler Vaughns made a leaping catch in opposition to James Pierre alongside the left sideline. He hade some spectacular performs right this moment. Jace Sternberger had a drop. His fingers have been suspect.
– Ok, let’s speak about staff classes.
First Team Session (Seven Shots)
1. Ball on the 2. Kendrick Green first staff LG. Mitch Trubisky in at QB. 12 personnel with Zach Gentry and Connor Heyward within the sport. George Pickens and Anthony Miller the WRs. Levi Wallace at LCB, Cam Sutton at RCB. Cam Heyward and different defenders flip again to the group on the hill and pump them up.
To the play itself, Trubisky throws a fade left aspect for George Pickens however Cam Sutton performs it nicely, smothers Pickens, and the move is incomplete.
2. 3×1 “nub” formation with the TE in-line and remoted. Pickens within the slot. T.J. Watt is available in free for strain. Trubisky rolls proper and throws incomplete.
3. Benny Snell in at RB. Miller within the slot, Cody White and George Pickens on the skin. Trubisky boots to the left and appears for Anthony Miller on the aim line however Arthur Maulet knocks the ball away on the catch level. Good rep.
4. Najee Harris cut up out. Trubisky full to Connor Heyward however Terrell Edmunds makes a fantastic cease contained in the one-yard line and Heyward by no means breaks the aircraft. Defense with one other cease.
5. Mason Rudolph is available in. Under some strain and his move is a lame duck. Guessing his arm was hit however I’m unsure. Pass is floating nicely wanting its supposed goal. Second-year security Donovan Stiner finds the ball and tries to run to it, diving to attempt to make the interception. But the ball pops up as he’s making an attempt to go to the bottom, not hitting the bottom, simply popping again up into the air, and Connor Heyward exhibits nice focus to search out and catch the ball, reaching and falling over into the top zone for the offense’s first rating in fairly wild model.
6. Good staff protection and Rudolph doesn’t have any choices. He rolls proper and fires to the sideline, perhaps for Anthony McFarland, however it’s out of bounds and incomplete.
7. You’ve been asking for it. You acquired it. Kenny Pickett getting his first seven photographs rep. Throws a rope to the again left nook for Tyler Vaughns, who contorts his physique and makes a fantastic seize within the air for what was dominated a landing. Probably price a sales space assessment to see if he actually acquired each ft down however the staff gave him the rating and so will I. Defense nonetheless wins the day, 5-2.
Second Team Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 38. Kevin Dotson in at LG, Trubisky in at QB. Anthony Miller and George Pickens the skin receivers with Calvin Austin III within the slot. Najee Harris in at RB. Trubisky fires deep down the left sideline supposed for Anthony Miller. But the 2 aren’t on the identical web page. Miller breaks his route off on a curl and Trubisky’s deep ball falls incomplete. Cam Sutton on the protection at RCB.
2. Levi Wallace and Cam Sutton the skin CBs and Karl Joseph within the slot. Terrell Edmunds and Damontae Kazee at security. Trubisky’s throw is incomplete, probably tipped someplace alongside the line of defense that brought about the move to overlook, thrown proper aspect for a possible slant.
3. Myles Jack and Devin Bush the ILBs. 11 personnel. Trubisky hits Miller on a crosser working proper to left. Myles Jack turns him again inside and Ahkello Witherspoon, the RCB on the play, tags him up. Miller will get somewhat chippy with Cam Heyward who I consider – or somebody on the Steelers’ protection – swiped the ball out of Miller’s fingers on the very finish.
4. Myles Jack blitz up the center. Trubisky fires and connects with George Pickens over the center, an excellent strike for a 17-yard pickup. Those two have proven good chemistry.
5. 12 personnel. Connor Heyward Y-Off tight finish. Mason Rudolph within the sport and boots left. McFarland makes a catch right here for six. Derek Watt aligned subsequent to Rudolph pre-snap.
6. Second-team OL. Haeg-Green-Hassenauer-Leglue-Scott. Buddy Johnson and Ulysees Gilbert III the ILB pairing. Justin Layne at LCB, James Pierre RCB. Derrek Tuszka LOLB, Genard Avery ROLB. Karl Joseph slot nook. Miles Boykin beats press and runs a slant, a pleasant seize above his head from Rudolph. Donovan Stiner offers him a thud as Boykin will get upfield. Gain of 14.
7. Base line of defense grouping of DeMarvin Leal at LDE, Henry Mondeaux at NT (ugh), and Isaiahh Loudermilk at RDE. McFarland the RB, Connor Heyward cut up out huge. Rudolph full to Steven Sims proper aspect who will get each ft inbounds. Gain of eight.
8. Layne and Pierre the skin corners with Tre Norwood within the slot. Empty set, Pony grouping with Anthony McFarland and Jeremy McNichols on the sphere. McNichols motioned again into the backfield. Rudolph’s throw is incomplete. UG3 swam over and previous McNichols for would-be strain.
9. Kenny Pickett into the sport. Khalil Davis and Donovan Jeter the DTs with Delontae Scott and Tuzar Skipper the OLBs. Boykin and Gunner Olszewski on the skin with Tyler Snead within the slot. Pickett seems for Gunner Olszewski over the center however the move is off the mark with Karl Joseph diving for it. A would-be sack if strain was allowed to the touch the QB.
10. Vaughns goes in movement. Nothing obtainable for Pickett. Runs proper after which tries to throw again cross-body. But nobody is basically within the space and the move is incomplete.
11. OL of Dixon-Owens-Gilliam-C. Green-Tucker. 11 personnel. Pickett’s throw to Anthony Miller is brief and low. Miller tries to get beneath it however is falling away and might’t full the catch, incomplete. Mark Robinson blitzed in free off the sting.
12. Moultry and Johnson the OLB pairing. Dixon buried his man across the edge. Pickett tries to fireside over the center however the move is rejected by DT Doug Costin, who bats it down.
Third Team Session
1. Ball on the 31. Trubisky once more first-team QB. Complete to Zach Gentry on a brief throw and catch with Myles Jack throughout him, even forcing the ball out on the tail finish. Call it acquire of three.
2. Olszewski, Pickens, and Miller the three WRs to the identical, proper aspect initially. Olszewski motioned throughout to the left however he’s somewhat anxious and leaves early, flagged for a false begin because the staff has to reset. They get again to the road. Witherspoon and Wallace on the skin with Cam Sutton within the slot, a possible preview of how issues will look come Week One. Robert Spillane rotating in and dealing subsequent to Jack. Trubisky climbs the pocket, there’s nothing there, and he tucks and runs with Cam Heyward giving chase.
3. Connor Heyward motioned out huge. Trubisky desires to hit him on a slant to the appropriate however TJ Watt’s seen that earlier than and bats the ball down with each fingers. Kicks the ball into the stands and into the Tenth-ish row, caught by a fan in a Minkah Fitzpatrick jersey.
4. Devin Bush in at ILB. Trubisky full left aspect to Cody White for a acquire of 12 alongside the sideline. Kendrick Green was fighting a bull rush right here and making an attempt to stall it out. Didn’t see what defender was giving him the enterprise.
5. Arthur Maulet within the slot with Justin Layne and James Pierre on the skin. Devin Bush and Myles Jack the ILB pairing. Mason Rudolph in and boots proper, hitting Calvin Austin alongside the appropriate sideline earlier than Ahkello Witherspoon will get a hand on him. Gain of 9.
6. Rudolph good throw caught beneath by McFarland as a diving UG3 can’t make a play on it. Gain of 17 with half of that coming as YAC. Carlos Davis confirmed burst and generated strain.
7. Boykin the X, Austin within the slot. Boykin hits Connor Heyward proper aspect who snags the ball away from his physique and turns upfield. Call it acquire of eight. This is the play I’ve Allen getting harm on, pulling up lame on the finish after which limping over to a Gatorade cooler to sit down on whereas trainers, together with head athletic coach John Norwig, examined him. Allen’s day achieved after that.
8. Rudolph with an excellent throw left aspect full to Miles Boykin in opposition to James Pierre, who simply missed breaking the move up and knew it as he acquired again to his ft. Gain of 15. Buddy Johnson acquired some strain up the center whereas UG3 was making an attempt to untangle himself from the RB, having some success however shedding his footing and by no means actually acquired within the QB’s face.
9. Kenny Pickett within the sport. Short throw proper aspect full to Olszewski although Carlins Platel rapidly ended issues with a thud. Would’ve been lots worse than that if this was Monday’s reside session. Three-yard acquire.
10. Johnson and Robinson the ILB pairing. Chris Steele and Linden Stephens the skin corners with Platel within the slot. Boykin and Vaughns on the skin with Olszewski within the slot. Screen left full to Warren earlier than Tre Norwood tags him. Leal gave good chase and compelled a lineman in entrance to peel again and block him. Call it acquire of 5.
11. Low snap from Chris Owens, getting his first camp reps at middle. Pickett hits Mataeo Durant beneath who has to achieve out for it and falls to the bottom. Three-yard acquire. Chaz Green at LT, Jake Dixon at RG.
12. Olszewski within the slot. Pickett with a robust, on-target throw for Olszewski operating a curl route, placing it on the skin half away from the DB degree. Platel fives for it however can’t get a hand on the ball however Olszewski is unable to convey it in, diving and having it hit off his fingers. Incomplete however an excellent rep for Pickett.
Fourth Team Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 34. Levi Wallace and Cam Sutton the skin CBs with Arthur Maulet within the slot. 3×1 “nub” formation with Pickens, Boykin, and Austin all to at least one aspect. Trubisky in at QB. Attempts to throw WR bubble to the appropriate for Pickens however T.J. Watt – but once more – reads it. Tackle doesn’t reduce him (not that they might on this setting, particularly to not Watt) and Trubisky’s move is swallowed up by Watt into his chest, who races into the top zone for the pick-six.
2. 21 personnel. Alex Highsmith strain across the edge. Trubisky steps up and climbs however there’s zero choices for him to throw to and he’s compelled to run once more. Secondary is hyped for plastering and overlaying so nicely. High-fives throughout with Edmunds, Sutton, Kazee, and Witherspoon.
3. Pony backfield with Snell behind Trubisky and McFarland splitting out. Trubisky full to Pickens for ten yards on a curl, although he by no means noticed Karl Joseph who ran up from behind and knocked the ball out on the finish of the play. Snell picked up the unfastened ball and stored operating with it down the appropriate aspect. Carlos Davis beat Kevin Dotson on the play.
4. Najee Harris proper aspect. Arthur Maulet works off a block and wraps up Harris low, although kind of falling off partially because of the no-tackling nature and half as a result of Harris’ thigh is larger than Mauler’s torso. Gain of three.
5. Myles Jack and Robert Spillane the ILB. Mason Rudolph in at QB. 12 personnel. Rudolph fires down proper sideline however Justin Layne pins Pickens nicely and stays with him all the way in which to the bottom. Pickens makes an excellent try however Layne performs down by the fingers and breaks it up, incomplete.
6. Jeremy McNichols beneficial properties one left aspect. Good defensive stream. Don’t know the way however noticed Kendrick Green find yourself on the bottom.
7. Power run to the appropriate, Anthony McFarland on the carry. Nice rep by Delontae Scott to work off a block and make the fast cease from his LOLB spot. Gain of only one.
8. Austin within the slot. Steven Sims the X. Rudolph with one of many hardest velocity throws in camp over the center, nailing Boykin in stride as Pierre, a full-out, dive simply missed. Great placement. Gain of 16.
9. Pickett playaction and appears for Austin in the appropriate flat. But UG3 is throughout it and thuds him for a lack of one. Jordan Tucker ended the play on the bottom and was somewhat sluggish getting again up, although he could have simply been drained at that time.
10. Tyler Snead within the slot. Jaylen Warren at RB. Warren carry up the center for 4. Low-ish snap right here from Owens didn’t assist. Warren and Khalil Davis acquired somewhat snarled on the finish right here.
11. Mataeo Durant at RB. Pickett working beneath middle. 12 personnel. Khalil Davis busting by and free. Pickett rolls proper and throws incomplete, damaged up by Maulet.
12. Unbalanced search for the apply’s last play with RT Trent Scott motioning throughout the formation to line up on the left aspect. Durant carry up the intestine. Mark Robinson knifes in and throws a shoulder into his chest after a acquire of two. Would’ve been an enormous hit if Robinson was allowed to complete it.
– I’ll need to run a number of the numbers however Mitch Trubisky is growing a pleasant rapport with George Pickens, particularly over the center. Seems to be his favourite goal and with good cause.
– Overall, Trubisky appears to be pushing the ball downfield a bit extra, although Rudolph definitely has his downfield makes an attempt/strikes, too and he match passes in tight home windows right this moment, particularly. Again, I might want to run the numbers. Nearly all the things Pickett has thrown has been quick or intermediate at finest. Very elementary “take a profit” method.
– Kenny Pickett acquired his seven photographs rep. Everyone blissful now? Mixed day for him total however I’d say it’s higher than the final two. Baby steps.
– Prior to the damage, which I feel is minor, Connor Heyward with a pleasant day catching the ball. Sitting down in opposition to zone, making catches in visitors, ending the play, being ball-aware, and transferring round a good bit. Hopefully he can get again on the market Monday. Sunday off-day is nice timing for him.
– Tyler Vaughns examined poorly popping out however he’s a springy participant with plus physique management and monitoring. Good day from him right this moment.
– Miles Boykin was lots higher too after struggling to complete yesterday, although he caught slants and crossed right this moment in comparison with failed deep balls yesterday.
– Really excited for the pads to return on Monday to raised consider the traces. But the Davis brothers look fast and explosive and undoubtedly play with chips on their shoulders.
– Good day for Arthur Maulet. I’m nonetheless unsure how or the place he matches come Week One, even when he’s getting starter reps now, however he’s not going away quietly.
– Not that it actually must be stated however TJ Watt is only a pressure. Trubisky has to hate going through him as he battles for the beginning QB gig. Watt doesn’t make any QBs look good and he doesn’t make it simple on any of these guys.
Saint Vincent Snapshot
Chris Boswell kicking throughout a particular groups session.
Today’s Camp Twitter Question
Does it seem to be extra good defensive work or unhealthy offensive play?
— mj151 (@mj15112) July 30, 2022
It’s all the time going to be a mix of each. But I identical to to credit score the unit that’s on the market making performs. So the nod to the protection right here. They’ve been high-energy and simply swarming in camp. They’ll quit the play now and again, that’s to be anticipated, however they’ve been a robust unit. Aggressive going after the soccer with power and energy and end. Really competing nicely.
Random Steelers’ Fact
Only two of the Steelers choices of their inaugural 1936 draft ever performed a down for the staff: fifth spherical choose Dick Sandefur and eighth rounder Ed Karpowich.
George Carlin’s Quote Of The Day
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”