A significantly better and crucially, drier Friday than what we skilled Thursday. Overcast skies as I arrived quickly turned to solar and it was a good looking follow as we speak at Saint Vincent College. Let’s discuss what went down on Day #3.
We are thrilled to once more have Len Testa and Touring Plans as a yearly sponsor of Steelers Depot’s coaching camp protection. They’ve been a long-time sponsor of the location and our camp notes. You can use their journey planner software to “show you the least crowded park to visit every day, customized touring plans for visiting Disney’s best rides, honest restaurant reviews, how to save on Disney tickets, the best hotel rooms to ask for, and so much more.”
Camp Notes (Day Three)
– Great crowd readily available for as we speak. No shock with it being Friday and good climate general however the place was packed. More individuals as we speak than Day One. Photographer Tim Rice instructed me he heard 15,000 tickets have been purchased for tomorrow’s session, although it’s uncertain that many individuals truly present up. Still, Saturday needs to be rocking so get there early for those who’re attending.
– Injury Recap: Not practising as we speak have been SS Miles Killebrew (pec) and TE Pat Freiermuth (hamstring). Looks minor however they might wait till Monday to convey him again, if not slightly longer. Didn’t see a lot of CB Levi Wallace as we speak so there could also be one thing occurring there (replace: Tomlin mentioned Wallace has an sickness). DL Larry Ogunjobi was a part of particular person, not workforce, as has been the case the primary two days. Status quo for WR Diontae Johnson whereas EDGE T.D. Moultry was full as we speak and had a fairly good follow. Minkah Fitzpatrick stays on NFI however it appears to be like like he’s making progress. Didn’t catch something together with his proper hand on Day One, caught tennis balls with it on Day Two, and caught footballs with each arms as we speak. I don’t suppose he’ll be out an excessive amount of longer.
During follow, WR Chase Claypool suffered a shoulder damage. Have to see what’s occurring with that.
– Like Day One, DB Karl Joseph was first one onto the follow discipline at a really early 1:17 for a 1:55 follow. He caught passes with a coach earlier than the remainder of the workforce joined him.
– WRs Calvin Austin III and Tyler Vaughns performed catch very early in follow to heat one another up.
– John Leglue serving to with some middle snaps to heat quarterbacks up. Even Kendrick Green took some snaps although each performed guard the remainder of the day. Green ran second-team left guard so that they’re clearly rotating him and Dotson first-team principally each different day. At this level, it’s probably not value updating till somebody does it two days in a row.
– For these maintaining rating, Connor Heyward works completely with the tight ends in positional teams. Derek Watt is with the working backs. Coach Alfredo Roberts has the tight ends working early in camp, earlier than all the opposite teams begin going by drills. He’s the workforce’s most underrated coach and developed a younger group.
– Haven’t seen anybody else in addition to Christian Kuntz lengthy snap to this point. Unless Chris Boswell messing round counts.
– Saw extra Pony as we speak, together with Najee Harris and Anthony McFarland in a single snap throughout starting warmups. McFarland was standing as much as the left of left sort out.
– Return line work: Gunner Olszewski, Tyler Snead, George Pickens, Anthony Miller, Tyler Vaughns, and Calvin Austin III.
– Punt return recreation making an attempt to see what number of balls a participant can catch in a single session. Anthony Miller had a controversial sixth catch. With 5 balls already in hand, he grabbed the sixth, went to the bottom on his again, after which a ball squirted free. I don’t depend it so he’s at 5. Olszewski additionally had 4 and couldn’t convey the fifth in. Here’s a video of it.
— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) July 29, 2022
– Energy may even be felt within the stretch line as we speak. There’s additionally an eclectic playlist starting from old-school rap to Zach Brown Band. Something for everybody.
– Anthony McFarland took a fast rep with the WR group, working a slant, earlier than transferring again over to the RB room. Just a observe to file away.
– Defensive backs working turnover circuit. Fumble restoration drills. Shed the block in opposition to the sled, then choose up the ball that’s rolled to them by an assistant coach/intern. Something Teryl Austin’s careworn since being employed.
– Assistant WR Coach Blaine Stewart the third “receiver” in a single drill, the purpose man as the opposite two receivers labored on their releases out of stacked/bunched units.
– New WRs Coach Frisman Jackson very vocal with a educating mindset after virtually each rep. Some of the issues he referred to as out to receivers as they ran routes in opposition to makeshift zone protection with Jackson enjoying the defender and the receiver needing to sight regulate off his leverage.
“Don’t drift” – to George Pickens on a five-yard out
“Sell hard” – to Tyler Vaughns on a pivot route, wanting him to promote the crosser earlier than bursting again out
” Finish up the sphere” – to Calvin Austin stopping out of bounds on an out route and never working up the sphere
“Maintain depth” – to Steven Sims
– Mike Tomlin loves hanging across the tight ends. He watched over the QB/TE group as they threw and ran routes.
– 7v7 notes. Mitch Trubisky fairly deep ball to Anthony Miller to beat Cam Sutton, who fell mid-way by the route.
– Miles Boykin couldn’t haul in a deep ball later within the session. Good end by Chris Steele.
– Ok, let’s discuss workforce classes.
First Team Session
1. Seven photographs. Anthony Miller, George Pickens, and Chase Claypool the three receivers in 11 personnel, Claypool within the slot. Miller getting an early nod over Cody White. Zach Gentry #1 tight finish with Freiermuth out. Ahkello Witherspoon and Cam Sutton the CBs. Najee Harris within the backfield.
Trubisky floats a fade to the left facet of the top zone however Terrell Edmunds performs the pocket effectively and together with his again to the soccer, breaks up the throw as Gentry tries and fails to come back down with it. Incomplete.
2. Nothing there for Trubisky. He runs proper, has some stress from T.J. Watt and runs over the purpose line, although Devin Bush had the angle and would’ve tackled him. It’s a landing however I give QB scrambles as a degree to the protection for a job effectively carried out and forcing a tuck and run.
3. Pickens the X WR, Claypool and Miller stacked reverse. Harris nonetheless at RB. Trubisky throw in direction of the again proper nook is incomplete. Good protection by Ahkello Witherspoon.
4. Anthony McFarland in at RB. Trubisky stays at QB. Empty set with McFarland cut up out and Kevin Rader goes in movement. Trubisky throws a dig in direction of the again center of the top zone, across the left upright, however FS Damontae Kazee makes a pleasant play on the ball to interrupt it up. Incomplete.
5. Mason Rudolph is available in. Defense enjoying effectively so far however somebody blew a protection and Jeremy McNichols is broad open in the suitable flat for a straightforward rating.
6. Second-team offensive line: Haeg-Okay. Green-Hassenauer-Leglue-Scott. Rudolph fires and hits Steven Sims on a slant for the rating working in opposition to James Pierre. Connor Heyward lined up Y-off pre-snap.
7. Delontae Scott at LOLB and Tuzar Skipper at ROLB. Mataeo Durant at RB. Tyler Vaughns within the slot. Some confusion right here over the personnel and Connor Heyward tried to get on the sphere late. Had to reset the huddle, the primary of camp. Rudolph cross proper facet is incomplete to I imagine Vaughn. Leal tried a spin transfer however it didn’t work.
Second Team Session
1. Chris Wormley/Cam Heyward the DTs. T.J. Watt and Alex Highsmith at OLB, Myles Jack and Devin Bush at ILB. Kazee and Edmunds at security. Witherspoon and Sutton on the surface and Arthur Maulet within the slot. Third down session.
Mitch Trubusky in at QB. Claypool within the slot. Trubisky full to Jace Sternberger proper facet, getting further reps with Freiermuth out. Maulet tags him up however a pleasant acquire of 11. Frisman Jackson praises Sternberger for instantly getting upfield and gaining YAC.
2. Green in at left guard. Zach Gentry flexed and standing up. Harris at QB. Defense exhibits blitz/Mug look. Trubisky fires proper facet alongside the sideline. Witherspoon makes an aggressive play and tries to dive and bat it away however can’t. Pickens is ready to observe the ball and pull it away and tear off down the suitable sideline for a acquire of 31. Nice throw by Trubisky and arms catch by Pickens to pluck after which get upfield.
3. Trubisky appears to be like for Pickens once more proper facet on what may’ve been a nook route. But Pickens broke issues off and the cross sailed out of bounds. Perhaps some miscommunication however it’s onerous to say who was at fault. Might’ve been Pickens. TJ Watt bull rushed Chukwuma Okorafor again into the pocket.
4. Empty set with Derek Watt cut up out. He motions again behind the road to Trubisky’s proper. Then Sternberger motions throughout the formation. Watt once more with a terrific rush, countering and spinning inside on Okorafor. Would-be sack however nonetheless forces stress and Trubisky’s cross to Pickens left facet is incomplete and never catchable.
5. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Throw incomplete to Austin. Austin minimize in, Rudolph’s throw went out. Incomplete and never on the identical web page.
6. Derrek Tuszka and Genard Avery the EDGE rushers. Marcus Allen and Ulysees Gilbert III the within linebackers. Empty set for Rudolph. Justin Layne and James Pierre at CB, Donovan Stiner and Tre Norwood at security. Rudolph full to Anthony Miller on a slant, 9 yard acquire. Carlos Davis dipped previous John Leglue to the surface and bought free for a stress.
7. McFarland in at RB. Karl Joseph now aligning at security. Rudolph full to Tyler Vaughns proper facet who will get each toes in earlier than his momentum carried him out of bounds. Gain of seven.
8. Delontae Scott and Tuzar Skipper at OLB. Isaiahh Loudermilk and Henry Mondeaux the DTs with Layne and Pierre outdoors corners and Joseph within the slot. Norwood and Stiner nonetheless the safeties. 3×1 formation with three receivers left and Zach Gentry the “nub” tight finish reverse. Miles Boykin tries to make a diving seize down the left sideline however James Pierre closes the hole on the high, impacting the throw and serving to to drive the incompletion.
9. Kenny Pickett’s first rep of the day. Pass is behind Jace Sternberger and incomplete, knocked away by I imagine Linden Stephens.
10. Third-team OL: Jake Dixon-Chris Owens-Nate Gilliam-Chaz Green-Jordan Tucker. Pickett cross for Steven Sims falls incomplete. Carlins Platel protecting. DeMeavin Leal dusted RG Chaz Green.
11. Pickett over the center to Connor Heyward. Incomplete however Chris Steele was throughout him, a transparent DPI as Heyward throws up a hand to sign a flag however everybody is aware of it might’ve been a penalty.
12. Pressure throughout Pickett, particularly from LOLB. May have been T.D. Moultry however I didn’t have the participant listed in my notes. Pickett has no probability to throw and simply holds onto the ball.
Third Team Session
1. Anthony Miller and George Pickens on the surface with Calvin Austin III within the slot. Chase Claypool’s day was carried out at this level. RPO with Trubisky hitting Austin over the center at midfield. No pads, no (supposed) contact however Kazee flies in and pops Austin fairly good. I feel Kazee needed to make a play on the ball to interrupt it up however didn’t fairly get there in time and ended up hitting Austin as he secured and took a step. Ball got here out on the finish with Kazee grabbing it. As onerous a success as we’ve had to this point, although probably not one thing coaches wish to see with them not in full pads. I’ll name it a acquire of eight.
2. Playaction. Trubisky climbs, Alex Highsmith places stress on the EDGE. Trubisky dumps off to Najee Harris beneath. Cam Heyward provides chase with Devin Bush tagging him for a acquire of eight.
3. Pony backfield with Anthony McFarland on the sphere. Benny Snell run left facet. Karl Joseph forces the ball again inside. Gain of 4.
4. Miller and Austin stacked WR set. Trubisky below middle. Austin orbit movement behind the LOS. Trubisky full to George Pickens proper facet for a acquire of 18.
5. 12 personnel. Don’t have the precise end result right here. Rudolph completion of 4.
6. Tuszka and Avery the EDGE rushers. Gilbert and Robinson the ILBs. Rudolph boots to the suitable and appears for WR Cody White alongside the sideline however James Pierre breaks the throw up. Carlos Davis and Kendrick Green get right into a scrap on the finish of the play.
8. Delontae Scott and Tuzar Skipper the OLBs. Norwood and Joseph at security, Layne and Pierre at CB. Rudolph playaction. UG3 blitzing/dashing release the center. Completion to Olszewski on a crosser for a acquire of 13.
9. Kenny Pickett in at QB. Jaylen Warren at RB. Linden Stephens and Chris Steele at CB. DeMarvin Leal and Khalil Davis at DT. Pickett working below middle. Miscommunication right here. Pickett goes at hand the ball off however Warren doesn’t count on it and is standing straight up. He takes the ball and simply stands there. Dead play. Looks to be on Warren as a result of the road run blocked right here. He should’ve thought it was playaction.
10. For the error, Warren is taken out. McFarland is available in together with Mataeo Durant in a Pony grouping. OL of Dixon-Owens-Gilliam-Green-Tucker. Buddy Johnson and Marcus Allen at ILB. Pickett hits Durant brief beneath for a acquire of 5. Platel meets him with a thud.
11. Standing on the sideline, Cam Heyward calls out to the 11 yellow defensive jerseys on the market “Got ’em on the ropes.” WR Tyler Snead within the slot. Connor Heyward Y-Off alignment. Pickett throws to Miles Boykin proper facet on a slant however Linden Stephens breaks it up.
12. Pickett below middle. Playaction. Rader seals Moultry up the sting. Pickett checkdown full for a acquire of 4. 21 personnel on this play with Derek Watt within the recreation.
Fourth Team Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 29. Kendrick Green in at LG. Austin and Pickens and White the three receivers. Mitch Trubisky at QB. Devin Bush and Myles Jack the ILB with Watt and Highsmith the EDGE rushers. Chris Wormley and Cam Heyward the DTs. Jet run to Calvin Austin who beneficial properties 13 earlier than Kazee takes an excellent angle and touches him up. Can really feel Austin’s velocity to the sting.
2. Trubisky boots left and hits Cody White within the left flat. Gain of six earlier than Myles Jack will get there.
3. Witherspoon and Sutton the surface corners with Maulet within the slot. Montravius Adams and Carlos Davis the DTs. Calvin Austin within the slot with Miller and White on the surface. Pretty contact throw by Trubisky over LB Myles Jack and Zach Gentry stretches out to make the catch, securing it to the bottom as Jack tried to take it away. Gain of 20. One of the performs of the day.
3. Najee Harris carry. Cuts left, shakes proper. Avery and Edmunds run-fill. Gain of three. Sutton runs with Harris as they race down the sideline on the finish.
4. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Rudolph boots proper and hits Harris who stays inbounds to get what he can. Robert Spillane ultimately meets him after a acquire of 4.
5. White and Miller on the surface with Gunner Olszewski within the slot. Jeremy McNichols at RB. Well-covered downfield and Rudolph tries to drive the checkdown to McNichols however UG3 is throughout him and bats it, knocking the ball into the air however nobody can get there in workforce to choose it. Forced throw however McNichols in all probability ought to’ve tried to run away from the linebacker as an alternative of sitting there.
6. Rudolph below middle. Snell carry proper facet with DeMarvin Leal chasing. Gain of 5.
7. Miles Boykin on the surface, Steven Sims within the slot. McNichols up the center for 5 with Khalil Davis spinning him round on the finish. Doug Costin additionally within the recreation with some 4th-team rotational snaps.
8. Kenny Pickett in at QB. Heavy personnel, workforce begins below middle after which goes shotgun empty. A really Matt Canada factor to do. Pickett tries to throw a bubble display to the suitable however Leal breaks by, reads it, and bats the cross down. Nice play.
9. Forward jet cross to Calvin Austin to a acquire of 9. Quick-hitter to the speedy Austin.
10. Moultry/Tyree Johnson the EDGE rushers. Allen and Johnson at ILB. Stephens and Steele the cornerbacks with Norwood and Joseph at security. Pickett below middle. Durant runs for 4. “Ball search” somebody calls out, calling to the protection to attempt to punch the ball away. Best factor they’ll do in these non-tackle conditions.
11. Pickett below middle. Snead goes in movement and Pickett hits him within the left flat for a acquire of 4. Jake Dixon went to the bottom on high of somebody, it is sensible if it was Johnson however his jersey was pulled up and I couldn’t inform, as the 2 bought into it.
At this level, Carlos Davis, who wasn’t on the sphere for the play, comes working over from the facet, full dash, and simply straight up ear-holes Dixon to the bottom. Big skirmish breaks out, Jaylen Warren shoves Davis, and that’s how follow ends. Wild second. Never seen one thing like that at camp. Two guys on the sphere getting twisted up? Sure. Lots of instances. Not somebody off the sidelines although. Davis bought into that scrap earlier and he should’ve nonetheless been seeing pink.
– Nice day for George Pickens. Showed chemistry with Mitch Trubisky. See the power in his arms, his physique management, capacity to make robust catches. Pickens might be able to make a direct impression on this offense.
– Several rookies had good days. Austin flashed his velocity, although the padless setting, you’d count on that to be on show. Leal confirmed some juice as a cross rusher and his batted cross was an excellent IQ play.
– Three days in and there’s no remaining conclusions. But I’m keen to make a gap assertion. Kenny Pickett will not be making a push for the beginning QB gig. Right now, it’s Trubisky vs Rudolph. Could that change? Sure. But Pickett’s play might want to change for that to happen.
– Miles Boykin wants to complete a few of the probabilities he’s getting. Downfield probabilities he couldn’t corral. Tougher gamers however he’s gotta be a vertical man.
– James Pierre with a formidable efficiency as we speak. He and Justin Layne are off to good begins, two guys battling for one potential spot.
– Mentioned this earlier however the vitality at follow was actually excessive as we speak. Sparked some fights. Alex Highsmith mentioned it finest. Time to place the pads on. That wont’ occur although till Monday.
– Before he began making an attempt to struggle individuals, Carlos Davis wanting explosive off the ball. He’s bought expertise. Just injured final 12 months and forgotten about.
– I admit I didn’t watch a lot of him as we speak however Cam Heyward gave the impression to be singing T.D. Moultry’s praises. Reps are onerous to come back by however it looks as if he’s bought go off the sting. Quick first step.
– Damontae Kazee impressing. Getting first workforce reps and making performs with an finish zone breakup and massive lick on Austin as we speak. He’s taking good angles to the soccer within the run recreation and as a tackler.
St. Vincent Snapshot
Quick shot of 11 v 11 workforce drills.
Twitter Question Of The Day
— John Rivera (@johriv5) July 29, 2022
Pierre is the higher defender/cowl nook/run stopper so he ought to have the sting. There’s extra upside there if he can preserve consistency in his method and perceive/course of situational soccer. So he may need the sting proper now however we’ll see. We’ll maintain tabs on it.
Random Steelers’ Fact
The Pittsburgh Steelers didn’t have a single choose till the eighth spherical of the 1963 draft. Still, they got here away with LB Andy Russell, taken within the sixteenth spherical.
George Carlin’s Quote Of The Day
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”